Welcome to the Wonderful World of Reading/ELA!!
Hi! Welcome to the ELA section of the 4th grade site! I look forward to teaching ELA to these great students. The days are filled with the busy sounds of collaboration and at times the quiet stillness of thought in our classroom. The students are learning to diligently accomplish tasks. To assist them in this task, listed below are a few of the standards that the students will be covering during this unit. In addition, you will find a general summation of the each standard. Update: I will leave information for parents in the Google homework folder for quick access. In addition,tutorials will begin soon.
ELAGSE4W3: WRITE narratives to DEVELOP real or imagined experiences or events USING effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
- ORIENT the reader by ESTABLISHING a situation and INTRODUCING a narrator and/or characters; ORGANIZE an event sequence that unfolds naturally.
- USE dialogue and description to DEVELOP experiences and events or show the responses of characters to situations.
- USE a variety of transitional words and phrases to manage the sequence of events.
- USE concrete words and phrases and sensory details to convey experiences and events precisely.
- PROVIDE a conclusion that follows from the narrated experiences or events.
ELAGSE4RL2: DETERMINE a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; SUMMARIZE the text.
ELAGSE4RL3: DESCRIBE in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’s thoughts, words, or actions).
Summary of the standards: Students apply a wide range of strategies to comprehend, interpret, evaluate, and appreciate texts. They draw on their prior experience, their interactions with other readers and writers, their knowledge of word meaning and of other texts, their word
identification strategies, and their understanding of textual features (e.g., sound-letter correspondence, sentence structure, context, graphics).
ELAGSE4L1: DEMONSTRATE command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- USE relative pronouns (who, whose, whom, which, that) and relative adverbs (where, when, why).
- FORM and USE the progressive (e.g., I was walking; I am walking; I will be walking) verb aspects.
- USE helping/linking verbs to convey various conditions.
- ORDER adjectives within sentences according to conventional patterns (e.g., a small red bag rather than a red small bag).
- FORM and USE prepositional phrases.
- PRODUCE complete sentences, RECOGNIZING AND CORRECTING inappropriate fragments and run-ons.
- CORRECTLY USE frequently confused words (e.g., to, too, two; there, their).
- WRITES legibly in cursive, leaving spaces between letters in a word and between words in a sentence.
ELAGSE4SL3: IDENTIFY the reasons and evidence a speaker provides to support particular points.
Summary of the standard: Students use spoken, written, and visual language to accomplish their own purposes (e.g., for learning, enjoyment, persuasion, and the exchange of information).
ELAGSE4W1: Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons. a. Introduce a topic or text clearly, state an opinion, and create an organizational structure in which related ideas are grouped to support the writer’s purpose. b. Provide reasonsthat are supported by facts and details. c. Link opinion and reasons using words and phrases(e.g., for instance, in order to, in addition). d. Provide a concluding statement or section related to the opinion presented
Summary of the standard:Students employ a wide range of strategies as they write and use different writing process elements appropriately to communicate with different audiences for a variety of purposes.
ELAGSE4RI10: By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 4-5 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Summary of the standard: Students are able to read and comprehend various texts proficiently.
ELAGSE4RF4: Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension. a. Read on-level text with purpose and understanding. b. Read on-level prose and poetry orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings. c. Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
Summary of the standard: Students are able to read accurately and fluently to understand the texts read. They are able to read to on level text with purpose and understanding as well as read on task and with expression with minimal error.